Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Brenda's Easy Chicken Noodle Soup

My husband came home sick today, so what's a wife to do but make him chicken noodle soup?!?! I really do cook more than chicken and I'm excited to share those recipes as well, but for some reason this just happens to be "chicken week". And, as a bonus, since this is my "easy chicken noodle soup", it takes advantage of my frozen deli chicken from Costco as well as the frozen chicken broth I just made.

One of the best ingredients to good chicken noodle soup is a good noodle. My mom has always made homemade egg noodles, but man that's a lot of work! Fortunately, I found a great dry substitute that is 98% as good as my mom's homemade. I use Country Pasta's Homemade Style Egg Pasta. I get mine at Costco, but I've also seen it at some grocery stores (Winco) and it's available on Amazon by clicking on the picture below.

Brenda's Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Serves 4 with leftovers

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb of cooked deli chicken, chopped
  • 4 c. chicken broth
  • 4 c. water
  • 2 tsp low sodium chicken bouillon
  • 3 celery stalks, split lengthwise and chopped
  • 1 c. chopped onion
  • 1 c. chopped carrots
  • 1 tsp sage
  • 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp dried rosemary finely crushed
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 10 oz. (about 4 large cups) Country Pasta - Homemade Style Egg Pasta
  • salt & pepper to taste
Directions:

Combine all ingredients, except noodles in a large stock pot and bring to a boil.  Add noodles. Cover and reduce heat to low. Boil on low for 35 minutes, or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally. 

This makes a lot so as empty-nesters, I often make a whole batch and freeze leftovers. But since I've a sicky in the house right now, I'm sure the left-overs will be put to good use. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment