Sunday, November 19, 2017

Texas Trash (Spicy Chex Mix)





There are a few things that I only make once a year. One is homemade coconut, chocolate chip ice cream, I only make it in July for my husband's birthday. Another is Texas Trash snack mix which I only make for Thanksgiving/Christmas. I make a double or triple batch and freeze the extra so it lasts through the holiday season.

As you can probably tell by now, my family and I like spicy foods. Our savory snack choices are usually no different. This recipe for Texas Trash can be found all over the internet. I've made a few tweaks to mine, because we like the spice. It's not hot, but it definitely has zip. I've also changed a few of the ingredients to make it "mine". Hope you enjoy!

Texas Trash

Preheat oven to 250 degrees
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup butter, melted in a cup with a spout
  • 1/4 tsp celery salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 1/4 tsp seasoning salt
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (rounded so it's a bit more than 1/4 tsp)
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbsp Tabasco sauce
  • 2 cups Cheerios
  • 2 cups Rice Chex
  • 2 cups Corn Chex
  • 2 cups pretzel sticks
  • 1 cup mixed nuts
  • 1 cup goldfish crackers (I use the colored ones but just because I like color)
Directions:

Mix the celery salt, garlic powder, seasoning salt, cayenne, Worcestershire, and Tabasco into the melted butter, set aside.

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large baking dish. Stir butter mixture before pouring over the dry mixture. Stir well until all pieces are coated.

Bake in oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment