Saturday, November 18, 2017

Spicy Chili

The youngest is coming over for dinner tonight. She's in her freshman year in college, but campus is 20 minutes away so we get to see her frequently. Tonight she requested chili for dinner.

Normally, I make my spicy chili on the Traeger for a rich smokey taste. (I'll be sure and share that recipe when I do.) But today, I don't have the time necessary to smoke my meat, veggies, and garlic. Fortunately, what I do have is some left-over brisket in the freezer that I previously smoked. Since it's only 1/2 a pound, I'm going to supplement it with 1/2 a pound of hamburger. The previously smoked meat combined with smoked paprika help give this chili extra rich flavor without the time required on a smoker.

Whether I cook my chili on the stove or on the smoker, my cast iron dutch oven is what I cook it in.

Spicy Chili

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
  • 1 lb hamburger, or cube steak chopped into bite-size pieces, or left-over smoked brisket
  • 1 lg onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 2 lg jalapenos, finely chopped
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 14.5 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 14.5 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 8 oz  can tomato sauce
  • 1 Tbsp chopped chipotle in adobo*
  • 3 Tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • Optional: grated cheddar cheese for topping
Directions:

Drizzle oil in a large cast iron dutch oven. Over medium high heat, fry burger or steak stirring to break up and cook evenly for about 5 minutes. Add onion, both peppers, and garlic and continue to cook until veggies are tender, about another 5 minutes. 

Reduce heat to low and add remaining ingredients, stirring well to incorporate all the spices. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes stirring occasionally. 

For my Hawaii raised husband, his is served over sticky rice. This mainland girl likes hers traditional with a bit of cheddar cheese on top.



*A note about the chipotle in adobo. I used to get frustrated opening those little cans, only to use one little pepper and some sauce for a recipe. Then, I learned how well it freezes so now I keep the remainder in little freezer containers like these and no more waste! I just take the container out a bit before I need it so it thaws a little and break off as much as I need for that recipe.
   






No comments:

Post a Comment