Sunday, November 12, 2017

Creamy White Pepperjack Chicken Enchiladas

I've been wanting to start a food blog for some time. But, I'm lazy. And I rarely write things down. Plus, I just don't like all the pictures that most food bloggers take. Seems time consuming and unnecessary. I mean, if I say "chop onion" you all know what I mean, don't you? I don't have to include a picture of the knife, and the whole onion and the resulting chopped onion do I? That said, this blog will be a work in progress so if I get suggestions from you, I'll listen.

I've been craving some good chicken enchiladas for a few weeks now. The last couple of recipes I've tried ended up bland. I do love me some spicy food, but I also like flavorful food that isn't necessarily hot. You can always kick it up with some hot sauce or pepper. These enchiladas have a lot of flavor because of canned salsa verde, fresh onion and green chilies in the sauce.

I also cut time by using deli chicken from Costco that I buy and freeze ahead of time in one pound portions. I have a FoodSaver V4440 2-in-1 Automatic Vacuum Sealing System with Bonus Built-in Retractable Handheld Sealer & Starter Kit, Black Finish if you're curious. Saving chicken this way is so helpful in that I always have some around for recipes like this or my chicken noodle soup (coming soon!). I find time-savers like these make it easier to have great meals at home without spending all evening in the kitchen.

I hope you enjoy!

Creamy White Pepperjack Chicken Enchiladas
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Ingredients:

For enchiladas:
  • 8 soft taco sized flour tortillas (I personally use the kind that are 50% corn and 50% flour)
  • 1 lb cooked shredded chicken, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 c. shredded Monterey  pepper jack cheese & 1. c. shredded cheddar cheese, mixed together (you will use half of this mixture for enchiladas and reserve half for later)
  • 1, 7 oz. can mild salsa verde
For sauce:
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 3 Tbsp flour
  • pepper to taste
  • 2 c. chicken broth
  • 1 c. sour cream
  • 1 f oz can diced green chilies
Directions:

Lightly oil a 9"x13" pan and set aside.

Mix chicken, half of each of the cheeses, onion and can of salsa verde in a medium bowl. Roll up equal portions of mixture in each tortilla and place in pan, seam side down.

In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter then whisk in flour. Add pepper to taste. Slowly add broth and whisk until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat, whisk in sour cream and green chilies until well blended.

Pour sauce evenly over enchiladas and spread remaining cheese mixture evenly over sauce. Place in oven and cook for 25-30 minutes.

These turned out so great that taking a picture was an after-thought. But at least I got one!

These are great right out of the oven or garnished with cilantro (if you like it) or chopped green onions. I left mine as is with guacamole on the side for those that wanted it. Tortilla chips and a green salad finished the meal.

What I liked about this recipe is it is relatively quick and easy if you have the chicken pre-made and shredded. The staples are usually things I have in my pantry and with the exception of the pepper jack cheese, I didn't need to do any special shopping for ingredients.

2 comments:

  1. how long did it take to prepare the meal, start to finish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably 15-20 minutes prep time, plus 25 minutes cooking time.

      Delete